Borrow, Renew & Pay Fines
BORROW, RENEW AND PAY FEES
Renew and reserve Library items and check your Library record online at My Account
Who can get a card?
This Library is locally funded by property taxes paid by persons who own property within the city limits. If you live within city limits or own real estate in the city, your taxes support the library and a card will be issued at no charge. In order to borrow materials from the Library, users must register for a borrower card. Library cards will be issued for one year and, if not renewed, will expire on the anniversary of the registration date. Cards which are free of fines and have not been used for a period of two years will be purged from the database.
- Adult: Patrons aged 14 or older.
- Juvenile: Patrons under the age of 13. A parental signature is required to obtain a library card. The parent must be present and show photo ID.
- Non-Resident: Non-residents may obtain a Local Use Only library card upon payment of a $25.00 non-resident fee. This fee is an annual charge. Non-residents must present a photo ID printed with their permanent address. Non-residents may also purchase an Ocean State Libraries card allowing state-wide use for $115.
How to Get Your Card
- To obtain a card you will need to show a valid picture ID from a city, state, or government agency such as a driver’s license, military ID, or a passport.
- A second piece of identification establishing residency by showing your current address will also be needed. Acceptable documents include a current utility bill, voter’s registration card, vehicle insurance card, or even your checks if they include your current address.
- Non-residents who own property within the city limits need to provide a current tax bill for that property.
Library users who have lost their card may apply for a new one by showing valid identification and paying a non-refundable $1.00 replacement charge; minors also must be accompanied by the parent or guardian listed as the responsible adult on the minor’s card record. If a parent or guardian wishes to cancel a minor’s card they must be listed as the responsible adult on the minor’s card record.
If the first card is later found, it must be destroyed or returned to the Library for reactivation with valid identification. Patrons should report lost or stolen cards as soon as possible; Library users are responsible for all materials checked out on their card up to the time that they report the card as lost.
Loan Periods / Borrowing Limits
The checkout period for books, magazines, and audiobooks is three weeks. DVDs and CDs may be checked out for one week with no renewals. Items can be renewed once providing that another patron has not requested (placed a hold) on the item.
You can request materials in person, by phone or via the internet. We will notify you by phone or email you when the item is available for pickup.
Renewing Your Borrowed Items
Items may be renewed in person, by phone, or via the internet. Items may be renewed once unless another patron has placed a hold on that item.
In order to remind Library users that they have overdue items, three notices will be sent: (1) an overdue notice at 7 days; (2) a second overdue notice at 30 days past due; (3) and a billing notice at 60 days past due.
The billing notice will notify the user that they may be referred to a collection agency if materials are not paid for or returned. Failure to receive a notice will not be considered grounds for waiving a fine, as Library users are responsible for keeping track of the due dates of their Library materials.
Overdue Materials: Fine rates are as follows:
- DVD/VHS/video games $1.00 per day/per item
- Interlibrary Loan $1.00 per day/per item
- All other items $0.20 per day/per item
Maximum Fine: To encourage the return of long-overdue materials, there is a maximum per-item fine.
- DVD/VHS/video games $10.00 per item
- Interlibrary Loan $10.00 per item
- All other items $5.00 per item
Payment of Fines: The Library will accept the following forms of payment for fines accrued:
- Personal check made out to the Library on a check drawn on a local bank with proper ID and for the exact amount of the fines.
- Money order or cashier’s check
- PayPal through the patron's online library card account
- Returned checks will be assessed a $25 fee. Payments must be made by cash, money order or cashier’s check.
- Patrons will be blocked from borrowing materials if any of the following conditions exist:
- If their overdue fines are at least $5.00
- If the patron has any lost materials on their card
- If they have more than five (5) active claims returned
- If the Library has reason to believe that the user has changed address; when this is the case, the library user may be asked to present current address verification before being permitted to check out materials.
- If there is reasonable doubt of the person’s identity or permission to use the card.
Waiver of Fines and Fees
The Library staff has the option of waiving or reducing charges if they determine that extenuating circumstances are warranted.